21A Scarborough St
Southport QLD 4215
Gold Coast Little Theatre are excited to announce audition registrations are now open for ‘Green Day’s American Idiot’ – Music by Green Day, Lyrics and Book by Billie Joe Armstrong and Michael Mayer. Directed by Stuart Morgan, Choreographed by Flynn Anderson and Music Direction by Ann Sparks and Michelle Watkins.
About the show:
American Idiot is a sung-through rock musical based on the 2004 concept album of the same name by punk rock band Green Day. After a run at the Berkeley Repertory Theatre in 2009, the show moved to the St. James Theatre on Broadway and closed on April 24, 2011, after 422 performances. The story, expanded from that of the album, centres on three disaffected young men, Johnny, Will and Tunny. Johnny and Tunny flee a stifling suburban lifestyle and parental restrictions, while Will stays at home to work out his relationship with his pregnant girlfriend, Heather. The former pair look for meaning in life and try out the freedom and excitement of the city. Tunny quickly gives up on life in the city, joins the military and is shipped off to war. Johnny turns to drugs and finds a part of himself that he grows to dislike, has a relationship and experiences lost love.
- DANCE AUDITION 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM Choreography will be taught to the title song “American Idiot” by our Choreographer. Everyone will be split into groups and will be given an opportunity to practice before
performing to the panel. There will be a brief warm up prior to learning the choreography, so please stretch and
do any preparation you need before coming to the audition.
- VOCAL AUDITION 12:30 PM – 6:00 PM Once you have registered for an Audition you will receive an email with your vocal audition time. If you are auditioning for any of the 6 leads you will be required to sing a specifed song from the show accompanied by a small band (first verse and chorus). If you are a musician and wish to accompany yourself please prepare the first verse and chorus of your song choice. Please have your instrument tuned and ready to go prior to entering the audition room. If you are auditioning for Ensemble please prepare a song of no more than 2 minutes in
a similar style. A bluetooth speaker will be available for you to use.
- Please see the audition pack for song choice options
- Johnny Age: 20+ Vocal range top: B4 Vocal range bottom: B2 – The self-proclaimed “Jesus of Suburbia.” Bored of his do-nothing, go-nowhere existence, he takes off for the city to get a new lease on life. He wages an inner war between a budding love for Whatsername and growing dependency on St. Jimmy and drugs.
- Tunny Age: 20+ Vocal range top: B4 Vocal range bottom: D3 – Johnny’s friend who follows him to the city and eventually enlists in the army. He travels to the Middle East. A dreamer who is easily swayed, first by Johnny’s ideas and then by patriotism and the American Dream.
- Will Age: 20+ Vocal range top: A4 Vocal range bottom: C#3 – Johnny’s friend. He ends up staying in Suburbia to take care of his pregnant girlfriend Heather. The more he stays on the couch, the more he becomes slowly disconnected from the world and his own relationships.
- Heather Age: 19+ Vocal range top: E5 Vocal range bottom: A3 – A girl in Suburbia and Will’s girlfriend. She discovers she is pregnant but has difficulty telling her boyfriend of the news. Once she settles down with him, she struggles to maintain their relationship with his despondency and eventually leaves him.
- Whatsername Age: 19+ Vocal range top: D#5 Vocal range bottom: F#3 – A girl in the city who falls for Johnny. A rebellious activist who is willing to follow Johnny to the ends of the earth, but fights to have him embrace their authentic relationship rather than pursue his addiction.
- Extraordinary Girl Age: 19+ Vocal range top: E5 Vocal range bottom: Bb3 – A girl in the Middle East who appears as a sexual hallucination to injured Tunny. Attractive and mysterious, she later appears as his nurse and accompanies him home after the war.
- Ensemble Age: 16+ – Green Day’s American Idiot has a strong ensemble presence. We are seeking a group of diverse people from all backgrounds and genders, with a range of different talents and skills. We will be casting a mix of strong vocalists and strong dancers, and will cast featured Ensemble roles from this group.
- St Jimmy – The role of St Jimmy has been cast and will not be auditioned.
Rehearsals commence from Friday, 28 May, 2021 and run most Monday evenings (6:00 PM – 9:00PM) Wednesday evenings (6:00PM – 9:00 PM) and Sunday (1:00 PM – 6:00 PM).
Performance Dates run from Friday, 3 September 2021 to Saturday, 2 October 2021 with Thursday, Friday, Saturday and one Wednesday performance and also including Sunday Matinees. View the GCLT booking page for further detail.
For more information, visit Gold Coast Little Theatre Website.