185-187 Ashmore Road Benowa
Spotlight Theatrical Company has announced audition registrations for their upcoming production of ‘PUFFS or Seven Increasingly Eventful Years as a Certain School of Magic and Magic’ by Matt Cox are now open – with direction by Mitchell Walsh and Assistant Direction/ Choreography by Brooke Edwards.
About the show:
For seven years, a certain boy wizard went to a wizard school. This, however, is not his story. This is the story of the Puffs who happened to be there too. ‘PUFFS’ gives you a new look at a familiar adventure from the perspective of three new heroes just trying to make it through wizard school. In case you are unaware, this play is a parody, of sorts, of the wildly popular Book and Movie franchise about a “Certain Boy Wizard”. ‘PUFFS’ soared during its Off-Broadway run and subsequent Australian Tour. The Spotlight Theatrical Company will produce and stage the full two-act edition.
Please register your application via the link on Spotlight Theatre’s Facebook page or by clicking here and send your headshot to spotlightPUFFS@outlook.com prior to your audition.
If you are successful in gaining an audition you will be required to prepare and memorise TWO monologues:
- Monologue 1: ONE comedic monologue of your choice (NOT from the show… You can prepare now!).
- Monologue 2: ONE monologue from the show.
At the audition, you will participate in a group warmup and theatre game to see how you work as an ensemble. You will then present your monologues individually to the panel.
This is an unpaid role and you must be 18 years and older when applying to be involved due to the nature of the show. If you think you’re too old to play a school kid, DON’T! You can audition for any character. Part of the humour can come from pretending to be an 11-year-old.
- Wayne Hopkins – Male, Australian. Wayne is the epitome of what a puff is like. Dork, Geek, Loser. He dreams of being important, relevant and to matter. He wants to impress, and he wants his life to mean something. He always thought he was special, and he is, just not in the way Harry is.
- Oliver Rivers – Male, Australian. Oliver however is Mug Born. Just moved to the UK so he could attend a Mathematical Institute at Oxford (He likes Maths). Which doesn’t matter now! Because he’s a wizard! And like Wayne, he sucks at magic. If Wayne is a Geek, Oliver is a Nerd. Big Time.
- Megan Jones – Female. HATES PUFFS (despite being sorted into Puff), daughter of the ONLY Puff who became one of Mr. Voldy’s Death Buddies. She spends most of the play trying to find out who she is. Is she a Puff? Is she a Snake? Is she a Brave? She is the 90’s Goth & Rock trend incarnate.
- Narrator – Male or Female, British. A graduated Student from the magic school retells the story of their parents and their friends. Scholarly Type. Who are they: (Spoilers). The Narrator of the show.
- Ernie Mac – Male, British. Very confident and self-obsessed. Possibly the coolest Puff out there. Also: A Very Tall Man, Seamus, A Certain Potions Teacher, Professor Turban, Ghost History Teach, Professor Locky, Mr. Nick, Sal, Second Headmaster, Real Mr. Moody.
- Hannah – Female, British. A shy Puff that gets bullied by other houses. Also: First Headmaster, Professor McG, Professor Sproutty, Xavia Jones, Professor Lanny, Runes Teach, Ms. Babble.
- J. Finch – Male, British. Uses his name as an Adjective, noun. Just a happy guy. Also: Uncle Dave, Goyle, A Fat Friar, Clumsy Longbottom, Hermeoone #3, Viktor, Mr. Bagman, Zach Smith. *Strong Improv Ability advantageous*
- Leanne – Female, British. Dumb, so dumb. An airhead, off with the fairies. She just wants to be friends with everyone. Also; Ginny, Helga, Frenchy.
- Sally Perks – Female, British. Timid and Dumpy in the first two books, then gets “Perk”-ie in the 3rd book with a combination of puberty and taking off her glasses… Teenage boys are dumb. Also: Hermione, Blondo Malfoy, Rowena, Rita Scooter, Bippy.
- Susie Bones – Female, British. Boy oh boy, does she have baggage. Lives in fear of death. Also: Harry, Colin, Hermeoone #2, Ric Gryff, Myrtle.
- Cedric Diggory – Male, British. I Mean. It’s Cedric. Everyone looks up to him. Also: Mr Voldy. *Cedric has a partial nudity scene, wearing only swimming trunks/speedos.*
Callbacks will be held on Sunday, 23 May 2021 between 5:30 PM and 9:00 PM at the Spotlight Theatre.
Rehearsals commence from Wednesday, 26 May 2021 and will continue every Monday and Wednesday evenings and Saturday afternoon at the Spotlight Theatre (unless otherwise stated). Please be aware that failure to attend 3 consecutive rehearsals without prior explanation may result in your role being recast.
Performances include Thursday, 9 September 2021 to Sunday, 26 September 2021 (with the possibility of extension).