Queensland Symphony Orchestra is continuing its celebration of music with the announcement of ‘The Studio Sessions’, a new and free program featuring unique concerts recorded in the QSO Studio at South Bank and released on YouTube.
Premiering Sunday, 14 June at 3:00 PM, ‘The Studio Sessions’ will be released twice a month and showcase unique works for smaller ensembles from a diverse range of Australian and international classical composers.
The first in the series, starting this Sunday, is Acting Principal Cello Hyung Suk Bae, Section Principal Viola Imants Larsens, Associate Concertmaster Alan Smith and Section Principal Flute Alison Mitchell performing a repertoire celebrating Bach, Beethoven and Debussy.
Queensland Symphony Orchestra’s Chief Executive, Craig Whitehead, enthused over the new initiative, stating that the concerts are free and, as restrictions lift, they would eventually feature larger ensembles of musicians. This would allow fans to watch as Queensland Symphony Orchestra grows back to performing as a full company.
“As an Orchestra for Everyone, we are extremely disappointed we are unable to deliver live concerts in the Concert Hall or in other venues to the people of Queensland, but we believe it’s more important than ever to share our music to keep people connected,” Whitehead said.
“So, we are delighted to introduce this new series, ‘The Studio Sessions’, to our audience until we can sit together again in the Concert Hall or on the grass to listen to our wonderful Orchestra live, please enjoy!”
‘The Studio Sessions’
Premiering Sunday, 14 June 2020 at 3:00 PM
- Bach – Cello Suite No.1 with Hyung Suk Bae (cello)
- Beethoven – Duet mit zwei obligaten Augengläsern, WoO 32 mvt.1 with Imants Larsens (viola) and Hyung Suk Bae (cello)
- Debussy – Sonata for Flute, Viola and Harp with Alan Smith (violin), Imants Larsens (viola) and Alison Mitchell (flute)
Session #2 – Sunday, 28 June 2020 at 3:00 PM
- Poulenc – Sonata for Horn, Trumpet and Trombone
- Margaret Sutherland – Two Dialogues for Clarinet and Violin
- Ross Edwards – Bagatelle for Clarinet and Violin
- Joseph Giovinazzo – Nen Dance
- Beethoven – Serenade for Flute, Violin and Viola
Session #3 – Saturday, 11 July 2020 at 7.30 PM – Program to be announced
Session #4 – Saturday, 25 July 2020 at 7.30 PM – Program to be announced