Everyone’s talking about Moulin Rouge! In an unprecedented occasion, Australian theatrical company Global Creatures’ Moulin Rouge has won a total of ten Tony Awards, including Best Musical.
Carmen Pavlovic, Global Creatures CEO and producer of ‘Moulin Rouge! The Musical’, accepted the award for Best Musical, and delivered a timely acceptance speech.
“It’s such an honour and a thrill to be able to bring fellow Aussies Baz Luhrmann and Catherine Martin’s epic and beloved masterpiece to the stage.” Carmen Pavlovic said.
“We love our Moulin Rouge! company, we love our show, and we love talking about it. But on an historic night such as this, it feels a little odd to me to be talking about one show as Best Musical. I feel that every show of last season deserves to be thought of as the Best Musical. The shows that opened, the shows that closed, not to return, the shows that nearly opened and of course the shows that paused and are fortunate enough to be reborn.”
‘Moulin Rouge! The Musical’ won a total of 10 Tony Awards, including:
- Best Musical
- Best Direction of a Musical – Alex Timbers
- Best Choreography – Sonya Tayeh
- Best Orchestrations – Justin Levine with Matt Stine, Katie Kresek and Charlie Rosen
- Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical – Aaron Tveit
- Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical – Danny Burstein
- Best Scenic Design in a Musical –Derek McLane
- Best Costume Design in a Musical – Catherine Zuber
- Best Lighting Design in a Musical – Justin Townsend
- Best Sound Design of a Musical – Peter Hylenski
Unbelievably, ‘Moulin Rouge! The Musical’ is the first-ever Australian-produced Broadway musical, and will have its Australian premiere at Melbourne’s Regent Theatre later this year, followed by performances on London’s West End in November 2021 and Tokyo in 2023. After an 18-month break owing to the epidemic, the Broadway musical returned to the stage last week.
Tickets for the Australian season are on sale now.
Visit the official ‘Moulin Rouge! The Musical’ website for more information.
Media Release Supplied.
Photography by Matthew Murphy.