The Queensland Performing Arts Centre (QPAC) will close until the end of April due to fears over the coronavirus.
The news comes shortly after the meeting of the National Cabinet and the Australian Prime Minister on Sunday, 15 March 2020. Following their direction, QPAC will close its theatres, which include the Lyric, Playhouse, Cremorne and the Concert Hall, until Thursday, 30 April 2020.
The result means several shows will cancel their approaching seasons. Among the list and of note is the highly anticipated season of ‘Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’ scheduled to open tomorrow evening.
Other cancelled events on the hit list include Australasian Dance Collective’s ‘Three’ (1-4 April), ‘Penn & Teller’ (7-11 April), ‘The Umbilical Brothers: The Distraction’ (21-26 April), ‘The Gospel According to Paul’ (28 April-2 May), and ‘MEDEA’ (28 April-9 May).
‘Rolling Thunder Vietnam’, who is also among the many, made their announcement earlier today, advising ticket holders to hold onto their pass as the event plans to reschedule. ‘The Wiggles’ also notified fans via their Facebook page of the cancellation of its Queensland tour, which was heading around Queensland, including Toowoomba, Logan and Brisbane.
All patrons affected by the cancellations will be contacted by QPAC directly and will receive a full refund. I
While the threat of COVID-19 still looms, QPAC will continue to review their forward program in collaboration with companies and producer. As the situation evolves and provide updates as new information is made available.
A full list of impacted events is outlined below.
QPAC Event Cancellations:
The Prime Minister’s direction means that cancellations include:
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (18 March-19 April)
- Queensland Ballet 60th Anniversary Gala (20-28 March)
- Exposing Edith (19-21 March)
- Broriginals Live (20 March)
- World Science Festival Brisbane (25-29 March)
- Australian Chamber Orchestra – Arvo Part & Shostakovich (30 March)
- Rolling Thunder Vietnam (18-19 March)
- Chat 10 Looks 3 Live (20 March)
- Sondheim on Sondheim (22 March)
- Celebrating Nina Simone – Featuring Lisa Simone (31 March)
- Australasian Dance Collective – Three (1-4 April)
- Camerata – Compassion (2 April)
- WOW Australia – In this Together (2 April)
- Queensland Symphony Orchestra – Mozart’s Jupiter (Fri 3 & Sat 4 April)
- Spinifex Gum (5 April)
- Penn & Teller (7-11 April)
- The Choir of Man (7-18 April)
- The Wiggles – Fun and Games Tour! (16-17 April)
- Queensland Pops – Simply the Best (18 April)
- Sing-A-Long-A Sound of Music (19 April)
- The Umbilical Brothers: The Distraction (21-26 April)
- Daniel Sloss – Hubris (21-22 April)
- An Evening with Dream Theater (23 April)
- Queensland Symphony Orchestra – Opera Gala (Fri 24 & Sun 26 April)
- Mauthausen (27 April)
- The Gospel According to Paul (28 April-2 May)
- MEDEA (28 April-9 May)
- Green Jam (each Friday)
- All backstage tours
All patrons affected by these cancellations will be contacted directly by QPAC and will receive a full refund.
- If you purchased ticket(s) using credit card or Paypal via QPAC, you will receive a refund of the full purchase price.
- If you purchased ticket(s) using cash or EFTPOS, QTIX will contact you to organise a refund.
For more information, please visit QPAC’s Website.